> When one partition's data is extreme large, the write/read will slow?

This is actually a good question, If a partition has near 2 billion rows, will
writes or reads get too slow? My understanding is it shouldn't, as data is
indexed inside a partition and when you read or write you are doing a binary
search, so it should take log (n) time for the operation.

However, my practical experience tells me it can be a problem depending on the
number of reads you do and how you do them. It your binary search takes 2 more
steps, but for 1 billion reads, it could be considerably slow. Also, this
search could be done on disk, as it depends a lot on how your cache is
configured.

Having a small amount per partition could be a Cassandra anti-pattern though,
mainly if your reads can go across many partitions.

I think there is no correct answer here, it depends on your data and on your
application, IMHO.

-Marcelo

From: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: how many rows can one partion key hold?