I have novice to cassandra and tried my hands to install cassandra-2.1.2 on
centos 7.0.
After complete installation execute cqlsh command and created few
keyspace(s) and column family.
Which seems to me in first glance its working perfectly.

But later onwards i realized below issues:

1> when i execute "service cassandra status" command, i got below error:

Output:Cassandra dead but pid file exists.

I googled the above issue and found some links

http://www.datastax.com/support-forums/topic/dse-dead-but-pid-file-exists

https://baioradba.wordpress.com/2014/06/13/how-to-install-cassandra-on-centos-6-5/

and found that I had same configuration mentioned in above links but the
same error still persists.

Please tell me the root cause and how to resolve it.

2> Second issue is in the cassandra.log file.

When I analysed the cassandra.log file there was an expection as :
Expecting URI in variable: [cassandra.config].  Please prefix the file with
file:/// for local files or file://<server>/ for remote files.  Aborting.

Below is the complete log:

12:01:40.816 [main] ERROR o.a.c.config.DatabaseDescriptor - Fatal
configuration error
org.apache.cassandra.exceptions.ConfigurationException: Expecting URI in
variable: [cassandra.config].  Please prefix the file with file:/// for
local files or file://<server>/ for remote files.  Aborting.
        at
org.apache.cassandra.config.YamlConfigurationLoader.getStorageConfigURL(YamlConfigurationLoader.java:73)
~[apache-cassandra-2.1.3.jar:2.1.3]
        at
org.apache.cassandra.config.YamlConfigurationLoader.loadConfig(YamlConfigurationLoader.java:84)
~[apache-cassandra-2.1.3.jar:2.1.3]
        at
org.apache.cassandra.config.DatabaseDescriptor.loadConfig(DatabaseDescriptor.java:158)
~[apache-cassandra-2.1.3.jar:2.1.3]
        at
org.apache.cassandra.config.DatabaseDescriptor.<clinit>(DatabaseDescriptor.java:133)
~[apache-cassandra-2.1.3.jar:2.1.3]
        at
org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon.setup(CassandraDaemon.java:110)
[apache-cassandra-2.1.3.jar:2.1.3]
        at
org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon.activate(CassandraDaemon.java:465)
[apache-cassandra-2.1.3.jar:2.1.3]
        at
org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon.main(CassandraDaemon.java:554)
[apache-cassandra-2.1.3.jar:2.1.3]
Expecting URI in variable: [cassandra.config].  Please prefix the file with
file:/// for local files or file://<server>/ for remote files.  Aborting.
Fatal configuration error; unable to start. See log for stacktrace.

I again searched the same issue in google and but the links were not that
useful as they contained the java class code for cassandra.config .

Again please tell the root cause and how to resolve it?

Thanks in advance.

--
Thanks,
Mohit Garg