From:"Anuj Wadehra" <anujw_2...@yahoo.co.in>
Date:Wed, 22 Apr, 2015 at 6:12 pm
Subject:Re: Handle Write Heavy Loads in Cassandra 2.0.3

Thanks Brice for all the comments..

We analyzed gc logs and heap dump before tuning JVM n gc. With new JVM config I
specified we were able to remove promotion failures seen with default config.
With Heap dump I got an idea that memetables and compaction are biggest
culprits.

CAASSANDRA-6142 talks about multithreaded_compaction but we are using
concurrent_compactors. I think they are different. On nodes with many cores it
is usually recommend to run core/2 concurrent compactors. I dont think 10 or 12
would  make big difference.

For now, we have kept compaction throughput to 24 as we already have scenarios
which create heap pressure due to heavy read write load. Yes we can think of
increasing it on SSD.

We have already enabled trickle fsync.

Justification behind increasing MaxTenuringThreshold ,young gen size and
creating large survivor space is to gc most memtables in Yong gen itself. For
making sure that memtables are smaller and not kept too long in heap ,we have
reduced total_memtable_space_in_mb to 1g from heap size/4 which is default. We
flush a memtable to disk approx every 15 sec and our minor collection runs evry
3-7 secs.So its highly probable that most memtables will be collected in young
gen. Idea is that most short lived and middle life time objects should not
reach old gen otherwise CMC old gen collections would be very frequent,more
expensive as they may not collect memtables and fragmentation would be higher.

I think wide rows less than 100mb should nt be prob. Cassandra infact provides
very good wide rows format suitable for time series and other scenarios. The
problem is that when my in_memory_compaction_in_mb limit is 125 mb why
Cassandra is printing "compacting large rows" when row is less than 100mb.

Thanks

Anuj Wadehra

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android