Sounds to me like your stream throughput value is too high. `notetool
getstreamthroughput` and `notetool setstreamthroughput` will update this value
live. Limit it to something lower so that the system isn’t overloaded by
streaming. The bottleneck that slows things down is mostly to be disk or
network.