Yes Robert, I already cleared the snapshots.  After that, the used disk
space is:

10.x.x.b@$ df -h /mnt/cassandra
/dev/xvdb1      745G  174G  572G  24% /mnt/cassandra

But, the cluster shows me a different thing:

$ nodetool status
Datacenter: us-east
===================
Status=Up/Down
|/ State=Normal/Leaving/Joining/Moving
--  Address     Load       Tokens  Owns (effective)  Host ID
                Rack
UN  10.x.x.a  420.74 GB  256     66.7%
eed9e9f5-f279-4b2f-b521-c056cbf65b52  1c
UN  10.x.x.b  416.42 GB  256     68.3%
19492c26-4458-4a0b-af04-72e0aab6598e  1c
UN  10.x.x.c  165.15 GB  256     64.9%
b8da952c-24b3-444a-a34e-7a1804eee6e6  1c

I do not understand why the cluster still sees even more data before adding
the third node.

Thanks a lot!!