If you're at 1 node (N=1) and RF=1 now, and you want to go N=3 RF=3, you
ought to be able to increase RF to 3 before bootstrapping your new nodes,
with no downtime and no loss of data (even temporary).  Effective RF is
min-bounded by N, so temporarily having RF > N ought to behave as RF = N.

If you're starting at N > RF and you want to increase RF, things get
harrier if you can't afford temporary consistency issues.