We just migrated from a 30 node cluster to a 45 node cluster. (so 15 new
nodes)

By default we have auto_boostrap = false

so we just push our config to the cluster, the cassandra daemons restart,
and they're not cluster members and are the only nodes in the cluster.

Anyway.  While I was about 1/2 way done adding the 15 nodes,  I had about 7
members of the cluster and 8 not yet joined.

We are only doing 1 at a time because apparently bootstrapping more than 1
is unsafe.

I did a rolling restart whereby I went through and restarted all the
cassandra boxes.

Somehow the new nodes auto boostrapped themselves EVEN though
auto_bootstrap=false.

We don't have any errors.  Everything seems functional.  I'm just worried
about data loss.

Thoughts?

Kevin

--

We’re hiring if you know of any awesome Java Devops or Linux Operations
Engineers!

Founder/CEO Spinn3r.com
Location: *San Francisco, CA*
blog: http://burtonator.wordpress.com