To clarify, writes have no *immediate* cpu cost from adding the write to
the memtable, however the compression overhead cost is paid when writing
out a new SSTable (whether from flushing a memtable or compacting), correct?

So it sounds like when reads >> writes then Tushar's comments are accurate,
but for a high write workload flushing and compactions would create most of
the overhead.

--
Dan Kinder
Senior Software Engineer