What cassandra and driver versions are you running?

It may be that the second update is getting the same timestamp as the
first, or even a lower timestamp if it's being processed by another server
with unsynced clock, so that update may be getting lost.

If you have high frequency updates in the same partition from the same
client you should probably use client-side timestamps with a configured
timestamp generator on the driver, available in Cassandra 2.1 and Java
driver 2.1.2, and default in java driver 3.0.

For more information:
- http://www.datastax.com/dev/blog/java-driver-2-1-2-native-protocol-v3
- https://datastax.github.io/java-driver/features/query_timestamps/
-