You can check if the snapshot exists in the snapshot folder.
Repairs stream sstables over, than can temporary increase disk space. But I
think Carlos Alonso might be correct. Running compactions might be the
issue.

Regards,

Carlos Juzarte Rolo
Cassandra Consultant

Pythian - Love your data

rolo@pythian | Twitter: @cjrolo | Linkedin: *linkedin.com/in/carlosjuzarterolo
<http://linkedin.com/in/carlosjuzarterolo>*
Mobile: +351 91 891 81 00 | Tel: +1 613 565 8696 x1649
www.pythian.com

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 9:24 AM, Carlos Alonso <i...@mrcalonso.com> wrote:

> I'd have a look also at possible running compactions.
>
> If you have big column families with STCS then large compactions may be
> happening.
>
> Check it with nodetool compactionstats
>
> Carlos Alonso | Software Engineer | @calonso <https://twitter.com/calonso>
>
> On 13 January 2016 at 05:22, Kevin O'Connor <ke...@reddit.com> wrote:
>
>> Have you tried restarting? It's possible there's open file handles to
>> sstables that have been compacted away. You can verify by doing lsof and
>> grepping for DEL or deleted.
>>
>> If it's not that, you can run nodetool cleanup on each node to scan all
>> of the sstables on disk and remove anything that it's not responsible for.
>> Generally this would only work if you added nodes recently.
>>

>> On Tuesday, January 12, 2016, Rahul Ramesh <rr.ii...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> We have a 2 node Cassandra cluster with a replication factor of 2.
>>>
>>> The load factor on the nodes is around 350Gb
>>>
>>> Datacenter: Cassandra
>>> ==========
>>> Address      Rack        Status State   Load            Owns
>>>    Token
>>>
>>>     -5072018636360415943
>>> 172.31.7.91  rack1       Up     Normal  328.5 GB        100.00%
>>>     -7068746880841807701
>>> 172.31.7.92  rack1       Up     Normal  351.7 GB        100.00%
>>>     -5072018636360415943
>>>
>>> However,if I use df -h,
>>>
>>> /dev/xvdf       252G  223G   17G  94% /HDD1
>>> /dev/xvdg       493G  456G   12G  98% /HDD2
>>> /dev/xvdh       197G  167G   21G  90% /HDD3
>>>

>>> HDD1,2,3 contains only cassandra data. It amounts to close to 1Tb in one
>>> of the machine and in another machine it is close to 650Gb.
>>>
>>> I started repair 2 days ago, after running repair, the amount of disk
>>> space consumption has actually increased.
>>> I also checked if this is because of snapshots. nodetool listsnapshot
>>> intermittently lists a snapshot but it goes away after sometime.
>>>
>>> Can somebody please help me understand,
>>> 1. why so much disk space is consumed?
>>> 2. Why did it increase after repair?