Yep, that motivated my question "Do you have any idea what kind of disk
performance you need?". If you need the performance, its hard to beat
ephemeral SSD in RAID 0 on EC2, and its a solid, battle tested
configuration. If you don't, though, EBS GP2 will save a _lot_ of headache.

Personally, on small clusters like ours (12 nodes), we've found our choice
of instance dictated much more by the balance of price, CPU, and memory.
We're using GP2 SSD and we find that for our patterns the disk is rarely
the bottleneck. YMMV, of course.