In case someone stumbles upon this same thing later.

Ended up being a collection item that was too big (i.e., larger than 64K).
Something to do with the way Cassandra generates the keys for collections,
but moving the offending collection from a list<UDT> to a separate
clustering key solved this particular instance. The error message could
definitely be better though, and I'll raise it with the devs.

Regards,
Emils