Thank you for your reply, definitely appreciate the tip on the compressed
size.

I understand your point, in fact whenever we bootstrap a new node we see a
huge number of pending compactions (in the order of thousands), and they
usually decrease steadily until they reach 0 in just a few hours. With this
node, however, we are way beyond that point, it has been 3 days since the
number of pending compaction started fluctuating around ~150 without any
sign of going down (I can see from Opscenter it's almost a straight line
starting a few hours after the bootstrap). In particular, to reply to your
point:

- The number of sstables for this CF on this node is around 250, which is
in the same range of all the other nodes in the cluster (I counted the
number on each one of them, and every node is in the 200-400 range)

- This theory doesn't seem to explain why, when doing "nodetool drain", the
compactions completely stop after a few minutes and I get something such as:

$ nodetool compactionstats
pending tasks: 128

So no compactions being executed (since there is no more write activity),
but the pending number is still high.

Thanks again