What is the reason for the tombstone for a brand new insert? Do the fields
get written as a whole (both nulls and non-nulls?

I understand the rationale for tombstones for deletes and updates but it
does not make sense for an insert (I am trying to make sense of it). I
understand Cassandra writes the record without first checking its existence
but wouldn't the whole set of fields including values to null out be
applied as one single operation?

Thank you,
Henry