Still trying to get a handle on the magnitude of the problem...

1. You said that the rate of growth is a max of a few hundred, but no
mention of the rate of processing (removal).
2. Are these numbers per item or for all items? In any case, how many items
are you anticipating? Ballpark - dozens, hundreds, thousands, millions?
3. In short, what is the aggregate number of appends and removes per day?
4. Clarify whether the order of removal is strictly by time or by a
combination of time and item.
5. Is there a separate "read" access distinct from the read that also
results in removal at the end of processing?
6. Finally, what is the expected per-item and aggregate number of
unprocessed events that are expected to be resident in the total queue at
any moment of time? IOW, how wide might the row be for an item.

I concur with the general sentiment that a queue is a clear antipattern for
Cassandra. But... you can probably get it to work with enough care and
sufficient provisioning of the cluster.

The big problem is that rapid, large-scale removal from the queue generates
tons of tombstones that need to be removed.

The DateTieredCompactionStrategy may help as well.

-- Jack Krupansky