On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 11:45 AM, Jack Krupansky
<jack.krupan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It depends on how much data you have. A single node can store a lot of data,
> but the more data you have the longer a repair or node replacement will
> take. How long can you tolerate for a full repair or node replacement?

At this time, for a foreseeable future, size of data will not be
significant. So we can safely disregard the above as a decision
factor.

> Generally, RF=3 is both sufficient and recommended.

Are you telling a SimpleReplication topology with RF=3
or NetworkTopology with RF=3.

taken from:

https://docs.datastax.com/en/cassandra/2.0/cassandra/architecture/architectureDataDistributeReplication_c.html

"
Three replicas in each data center: This configuration tolerates
either the failure of a one node per replication group at a strong
consistency level of LOCAL_QUORUM or multiple node failures per data
center using consistency level ONE."

In our case, with only 3 nodes in each DC, wouldn't a RF=3 effectively mean ALL.

I will state our requirement clearly:

If we are going with six nodes (3 in each DC), we should be able to
write even with a loss of one DC and loss of one node of the surviving
DC. I am open to hearing what compromise we have to do with the reads
during the time a DC is down. For us write is critical, more than
reads.

May be this is not possible with 6 nodes, and requires more.  Pls advise.