It was the driver after all. The C# driver (and I'm guessing others) query this
table as part of their heartbeat for idle connections. We have a lot of
clients. This adds up.
I don't believe this is the cause of the increasing network traffic.

    On Wednesday, April 6, 2016 2:22 PM, Sotirios Delimanolis