I have a paging model whereby we stream data from CS by fetching 'pages'
thereby reading (sequentially) entire datasets.

We're using the bucket approach where we write data for 5 minutes, then we
can just fetch the bucket for that range.

Our app now has TONS of data and we have a piece of middleware that filters
it based on the client requests.

So if they only want english they just get english and filter away about
60% of our data.

but it doesn't support condition pushdown.  So ALL this data has to be sent
from our CS boxes to our middleware and filtered there (wasting a lot of
network IO).

Is there away (including refactoring the code) that I could push this this
into CS?  Maybe some way I could discovery the CS topology and put daemons
on each of our CS boxes and fetch from CS directly (doing the filtering
there).

Thoughts?

--

We’re hiring if you know of any awesome Java Devops or Linux Operations
Engineers!

Founder/CEO Spinn3r.com
Location: *San Francisco, CA*
blog: http://burtonator.wordpress.com