cassandra-stress has some (many) limitations - that I had planned to
address now it's seeing wider adoption, but since I no longer work on the
project for my day job I am unlikely to now... so, sorry but you'll have to
tolerate them :)

In particular, the problem you encounter here is that a given clustering
*tier* must be generated in its entirety before performing any operation
that touches any of its values (read or write), regardless of how many are
actually needed.  So, if you have a single clustering column in your
primary key, the client must generate the entire partition.  And if you
have a million of them, you may just be watching your cassandra-stress
instance enter a GC spiral and die slowly; in all likelihood the data you
see is just the partitions that get randomly assigned a modest size in your
range.

If you need to generate giant partitions, at the moment you need to have
multiple clustering columns, and preferably keep the cardinality of each to
at most a few hundred.  The smaller, the faster queries that only touch
small portions of the partition will run (such as point or range queries,
or partial insertions)