Hi all,

Sorry if this is a fairly stupid question, but we've all only been exposed
to Cassandra very recently.

We're trying to configure a 2-node cluster with non-default credentials.
Here's what I've been doing so far based on my understanding of the
documentation. The platform is RHEL 7:

   1. Use an RPM I found with Datastax to perform a basic cassandra
   installation.
   2. Change the temporary directory in cassandra-env.sh, because nobody is
   allowed to execute anything in /tmp.
   3. In cassandra.yaml,
   - change the cluster_name
   - empty the listen_address entry
   - define both VMs as seeds
   4. Open port 7000 in the firewall.
   5. Start cassandra.
   6. In the cassandra.yaml, change to PasswordAuthenticator.
   7. Run cqlsh -u cassandra -p cassandra -e "ALTER KEYSPACE system_auth
   WITH REPLICATION = { 'class' : 'SimpleStrategy', 'replication_factor' : 2
   };"
   8. Restart cassandra
   9. Perform 1-8 on the second node
   10. To create a new user, run cqlsh -u cassandra -p cassandra -e "CREATE
   USER ${CASSANDRA_USERNAME} WITH PASSWORD '${CASSANDRA_PASSWORD}' SUPERUSER;"

Step 10 fails with this error:

Connection error: ('Unable to connect to any servers', {'127.0.0.1':
AuthenticationFailed(u'Failed to authenticate to 127.0.0.1: code=0100 [Bad
credentials] message="org.apache.cassandra.exceptions.UnavailableException:
Cannot achieve consistency level QUORUM"',)})

What am I missing?

Cheers

Raimund