The actual error message could be very useful to diagnose the reason. There are
warnings about incompatible formats which are safe to ignore (usually in the
cache) and I have one time seen an issue with commit log archiving preventing a
startup during upgrade. Usually there is something else broken and the version
mismatch is a false signal.

Regards,

Ryan Svihla