Hi Aiman,

Best practice would be to map cassandra racks to AWS availability zones. If
you are following this then you would add one node per AZ to keep the
number of nodes in each rack balanced.

It is technically possible to add multiple nodes simultaneously (at least
joining simultaneously - you need to leave a gap between starting) if your
configuration meets some restrictions (although I can’t remember exactly
what those are) and also requires setting
cassandra.consistent.rangemovement=false. However, in general I’d recommend
adding one node at a time unless you’re really confident in what you are
doing, particular if you’re working with a production cluster.

Cheers
Ben

On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 at 16:09 Aiman Parvaiz <ai...@flipagram.com> wrote:

> Hi all
> I am running C* 2.1.12 in AWS EC2 Classic with RF=3 and vnodes(256
> tokens/node). My nodes are distributed in three different availability
> zones. I want to scale up the cluster size, given the data size per node it
> takes around 24 hours to add one node.
>
> I wanted to know if its safe to add multiple nodes at once in AWS and
> should I add them in the same availability zone. Would be grateful to hear
> your experiences here.
>
> Thanks
>
> --
————————
Ben Slater
Chief Product Officer
Instaclustr: Cassandra + Spark - Managed | Consulting | Support
+61 437 929 798