Some random thoughts

1) Are they using SSD ?

2) If using SSD, I remember that one recommendation is not to exceed
~3Tb/node, unless they're using DateTiered or better TimeWindow compaction
strategy

3) LCS is very disk intensive and usually exacerbates write amp the more
you have data

4) The huge number of SSTable let me suspect some issue with compaction not
keeping up. Can you post here a "nodetool tablestats"  and
"compactionstats" ? Are there many pending compactions ?

5) Last but not least, what does "dstat" shows ? Is there any frequent CPU
wait ?