From: Mehdi Bada [mehdi.b...@dbi-services.com]
Sent: 23 September 2016 08:58
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: data file directory path customization

Hi all,

With the new apache cassandra 3.7 version, It is possible to setup a
customizable path for data_files, saved_caches and commit_log in the
configuration file (cassandra.yaml)?
I ask the question because during some test, I wanted to setup the path for :

   - data_files_directories
   - commitlog_directory
   - saved_caches_directory

After configuring this 3 variables (parameters) in the cassandra-yaml, I had
the following issues:

[cassandra@test bin]$ ./cassandra -f
18:54:22.443 [main] INFO  o.a.c.config.YamlConfigurationLoader - Configuration
location: file:/u00/app/cassandra/admin/CSD1/etc/cassandra.yaml
18:54:22.447 [main] DEBUG o.a.c.config.YamlConfigurationLoader - Loading
settings from file:/u00/app/cassandra/admin/CSD1/etc/cassandra.yaml
Exception (org.apache.cassandra.exceptions.ConfigurationException) encountered
during startup: Invalid yaml:
file:/u00/app/cassandra/admin/CSD1/etc/cassandra.yaml
 Error: while parsing a block mapping; expected <block end>, but found
BlockMappingStart;  in 'reader', line 188, column 2:
     data_file_directories:
     ^

****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
18:59:30.554 [main] INFO  o.a.c.config.YamlConfigurationLoader - Configuration
location: file:/u00/app/cassandra/admin/CSD1/etc/cassandra.yaml
18:59:30.558 [main] DEBUG o.a.c.config.YamlConfigurationLoader - Loading
settings from file:/u00/app/cassandra/admin/CSD1/etc/cassandra.yaml
Exception (org.apache.cassandra.exceptions.ConfigurationException) encountered
during startup: Invalid yaml:
file:/u00/app/cassandra/admin/CSD1/etc/cassandra.yaml
 Error: while parsing a block mapping; expected <block end>, but found
BlockMappingStart;  in 'reader', line 194, column 2:
     commitlog_directory: /u01/cassan ...
     ^

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

The first issue was for the data_files_directories, after that I commented it
out in the cassandra.yaml, and I had the same issue for the commitlog_directory
parameter.

Below the setting of my 2 variables:

 data_file_directories:
     - /u01/cassandradata/CSD1/data

commitlog_directory: /u01/cassandradata/CSD1/commitlog

I also tested the syntax with double quote " " -> Same issue

Many thanks in advance for your feedback

Best Regards

Mehdi Bada

----
Mehdi Bada | Consultant
Phone: +41 32 422 96 00 | Mobile: +41 79 928 75 48 | Fax: +41 32 422 96 15
dbi services, Rue de la Jeunesse 2, CH-2800 Delémont
mehdi.b...@dbi-services.com
www.dbi-services.com

[cid:1e02ecf01895aacdb0fd8d778ef9a33cef1c83ad@zimbra]

⇒ dbi services is recruiting Oracle & SQL Server experts ! – Join the
team<redir.aspx?REF=h7KQ5hASDru_Hvc17sR-H4FfY-fSJEZjGyHRQA9IMHvp_M8QmePTCAFodHRwOi8vd3d3LmRiaS1zZXJ2aWNlcy5jb20vZnIvZGJpLXNlcnZpY2VzLWV0LXNlcy1jb2xsYWJvcmF0ZXVycy9vZmZyZXMtZW1wbG9pcy1vcHBvcnR1bml0ZXMtY2FycmllcmVzLw..>

The information contained in the EMail and any attachments is confidential and
intended solely and for the attention and use of the named addressee(s). It may
not be disclosed to any other person without the express authority of Public
Health England, or the intended recipient, or both. If you are not the intended
recipient, you must not disclose, copy, distribute or retain this message or
any part of it. This footnote also confirms that this EMail has been swept for
computer viruses by Symantec.Cloud, but please re-sweep any attachments before
opening or saving. http://www.gov.uk/PHE