You can throttle compactions using nodetool setcompactionthroughput <x>.
Where x is in mbps. If you're using 2.2 or later this applies immediately
to all running compactions, otherwise it applies on any "new" compactions.
You will want to be careful of allowing compactions to utilise too much
disk bandwidth. If you're needing to alter this in peak periods you may be
starting to overload your nodes with writes, or potentially something else
is not ideal like memtables flushing too frequently.

Kurt Greaves
k...@instaclustr.com
www.instaclustr.com