I mentioned during my Cassandra.yaml presentation at the summit that I
never saw anyone use these settings. Things off by default are typically
not highly not covered well by tests. It sounds like it is not working.
Quick suggestion: go back in time maybe to a version like 1.2.X or 0.7 and
see if it behaves like the yaml suggests it should.