It appears as though, when inserting with "using ttl [foo] and timestamp
[bar]" that the TTL does not take the provided timestamp into account.

In other words, the TTL starts at insert time, not at the time specified by
the timestamp.

Similarly, if inserting with just "using timestamp [bar]" and relying on
the table's default_time_to_live property, the timestamp is again ignored
in terms of TTL expiration.

Seems like a bug to me, but I'm guessing this is intended behavior?

Use-case is importing data (some of it historical) and setting the
timestamp manually (based on a timestamp within the data itself). Anyone
familiar with any work-arounds that don't rely on calculating a TTL
client-side for each record?