On Mon, Jan 2, 2017 at 8:30 PM, Kant Kodali <k...@peernova.com> wrote:

> This is a subjective question and of course it would turn into opinionated
> answers and I think we should welcome that (Nothing wrong in debating a
> topic). we have many such debates as SE's such as programming language
> comparisons, Architectural debates, Framework/Library debates and so on.
> people who don't like this conversation can simply refrain from following
> this thread right. I don't know why they choose to Jump in if they dont
> like a topic
>
> Sun is a great company no doubt! I don't know if Oracle is. Things like
> this https://www.extremetech.com/mobile/220136-google-
> plans-to-remove-oracles-java-apis-from-android-n is what pisses me about
> Oracle which gives an impression that they are not up for open source. It
> would be awesome to see JVM running on more and more devices (not less) so
> Google taking away Oracle Java API's from Android is a big failure from
> Oracle.
>
> JVM is a great piece of Software and by far there isn't anything yet that
> comes close. And there are great people who worked at SUN at that time.
> open the JDK source code and read it. you will encounter some great ideas
> and Algorithms.
>

> On Mon, Jan 2, 2017 at 1:04 PM, Edward Capriolo <edlinuxg...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Jan 2, 2017 at 3:51 PM, Benjamin Roth <benjamin.r...@jaumo.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Does this discussion really make sense any more? To me it seems it
>>> turned opinionated and religious. From my point of view anything that has
>>> to be said was said.

>> It does matter in some regards. Cassandra has historically been more
>> coupled to specific JVM's than other Java projects. Specifically, in the
>> past I attempted to run Cassandra on Azul JVM and the key cache did not
>> load as the key cache used some sun.misc.unsafe code that  worked
>> differently on a different JVM. (I never confirmed if this was a bug in
>> oracle/azul/cassandra code)
>>
>> I have been burned by IceaTea and OpenJDK a few times over the years. I
>> do my best to install what is the "common" platform for most users. If the
>> project is going to take a position or bias development on one or the other
>> it matters.

Oracle's position was that Google should have to licence code from them.

This has been a sticking point for the last few years. After a jury found
in favor of Google, a appeals court mostly reversed that judgement. A
petition for the Supreme Court to hear the case was rejected earlier this
year
<http://www.extremetech.com/computing/209073-supreme-court-wont-hear-googles-appeal-in-java-api-case>,
and the case now sits at a lower court waiting to decide on Google’s fair
use argument. In the meantime, Google is making sure this isn’t an issue
going forward.

At once point Oracle released a 100+ page presentation about its case
siting emails from people at google making statements to the effect of "we
are going to need to licence this (jvm) at some point (from sun)".

SUN was a great company. But you know SUN was out to make money as well. I
was a system admin for SUN hardware like SUN E450s. Some SUN systems had
"interesting features". One such "feature" was their "certified" hard
drives with special "firmware" with the rebranded drives being 2x-3x the
cost. See "spud brackets" and other "interesting"
http://www.verycomputer.com/39_3960a4e1434e7562_1.htm things you had to do
with firmware etc. If you got caught needing support and happened to have a
"non certified" disk you could find yourself persona non grata.

Yes, SUN had beautiful hardware, os, and software. But
1) it was not cheap
2) solaris OS was not open-solaris until after they leaked the code on
accident
3) the majority of solaris users (that I knew) ran the entire GNU toolchain
side by side the solaris tool chain because Solaris had a funny way of
cornering you into buying their really pricey compiler if you tried to use
the "trusted" packages

I am mainly a user of the  SUN/Oracle JVM. My logic for switching is based
on the quality and frequency of releases. If I stuck with SUN though there
"spud brackets" and "special firmware", so I will give oracle some leverage
to drop the ball before I switch to the next thing with "open" in the name
:)