On 2016-10-24 13:39 (-0500), Alexander Dejanovski <a...@thelastpickle.com>
wrote:
> Hi Sean,
>
> In order to mitigate its impact, anticompaction is not fully executed when
> incremental repair is run with -pr. What you'll observe is that running
> repair on all nodes with -pr will leave sstables marked as unrepaired on
> all of them.
>
> Then, if you think about it you realize it's no big deal as -pr is useless
> with incremental repair : data is repaired only once with incremental
> repair, which is what -pr intended to fix on full repair, by repairing all
> token ranges only once instead of times the replication factor.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Le lun. 24 oct. 2016 18:05, Sean Bridges <sean.brid...@globalrelay.net> a
> écrit :
>
> > Hey,
> >
> > In the datastax documentation on repair [1], it says,
> >
> > "The partitioner range option is recommended for routine maintenance. Do
> > not use it to repair a downed node. Do not use with incremental repair
> > (default for Cassandra 3.0 and later)."
> >
> > Why is it not recommended to use -pr with incremental repairs?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Sean
> >
> > [1]
> > https://docs.datastax.com/en/cassandra/3.x/cassandra/operations/opsRepairNodesManualRepair.html
> > --
> >
> > Sean Bridges
> >
> > senior systems architect
> > Global Relay
> >
> > *sean.brid...@globalrelay.net* <sean.brid...@globalrelay.net>
> >
> > *866.484.6630 *
> > New York | Chicago | Vancouver | London (+44.0800.032.9829) | Singapore
> > (+65.3158.1301)
> >
> > Global Relay Archive supports email, instant messaging, BlackBerry,
> > Bloomberg, Thomson Reuters, Pivot, YellowJacket, LinkedIn, Twitter,
> > Facebook and more.
> >
> > Ask about *Global Relay Message*
> > <http://www.globalrelay.com/services/message> - The Future of
> > Collaboration in the Financial Services World
> >
> > All email sent to or from this address will be retained by Global Relay's
> > email archiving system. This message is intended only for the use of the
> > individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information
> > that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under
> > applicable law. Global Relay will not be liable for any compliance or
> > technical information provided herein. All trademarks are the property of
> > their respective owners.
> >
> > --
> -----------------
> Alexander Dejanovski
> France
> @alexanderdeja
>
> Consultant
> Apache Cassandra Consulting
> http://www.thelastpickle.com

Hello,

Was looking for exactly the same detail about the Datastax documentation, and
not sure to understand everything from your response. I looked at my Cassandra:
The Definitive Guide and nothing about this detail too.

IIRC:
- with incremental repair, it's safe to simply run 'nodetool repair' on each
node, without any overhead or wasted resources (merkle trees building,
compaction, etc)?
- I've read that we must manually run manual anti-entropy repair on each node
weekly or before the gc_grace_seconds (default 10 days)? Or only on returning
dead node ?

What's bad about running incremental repair on primary ranges only, node by
node? Looks like a stepwise method to keep data consistent..

In many sources I'm looking at, all examples are as «nodetool repair -pr» and
no metion about using -full with -pr like here:
http://www.datastax.com/dev/blog/repair-in-cassandra

So, to keep a system healthy, with less impact:
- what command to run nighly?
- what command to run weekly?

We're using C* 3.x

Thanks