My 2 cents,

As I mentioned earlier, we're not currently using snapshots - it's only the
> backups that are bothering me right now.

I believe backups folder is just the new name for the previously called
snapshots folder. But I can be completely wrong, I haven't played that much
with snapshots in new versions yet.

Anyway, some operations in Apache Cassandra can trigger a snapshot:

- Repair (when not using parallel option but sequential repairs instead)
- Truncating a table (by default)
- Dropping a table (by default)
- Maybe other I can't think of... ?

If you want to clean space but still keep a backup you can run:

"nodetool clearsnapshots"
"nodetool snapshot <whatever>"

This way and for a while, data won't be taking space as old files will be
cleaned and new files will be only hardlinks as detailed above. Then you
might want to work at a proper backup policy, probably implying getting
data out of production server (a lot of people uses S3 or similar
services). Or just do that from time to time, meaning you only keep a
backup and disk space behaviour will be hard to predict.

C*heers,
Alain Rodriguez - @arodream - al...@thelastpickle.com
France

http://www.thelastpickle.com