My advice to avoid them is based on the issues that have been filed in
Jira.  Benjamin Roth is one of the only people talking about his MV usage,
and has filed a few JIRAs discussing their problems when bootstrapping new
nodes, as well as issues repairing.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-12730?jql=project%20%3D%20CASSANDRA%20and%20reporter%20%3D%20brstgt%20and%20text%20~%20%22materialized%22

They also can't be altered:

They may be less performant than managing the data yourself:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-10295,

They're not as flexible as your own tables:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-9928,
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-11194,

They break incremental repair if you use CDC:

I don't know why DataStax advises using them.  Perhaps ask them?

Jon