From: Ryan Svihla <r...@foundev.pro>
Date: Wednesday, March 8, 2017 at 7:38 AM
To: user <user@cassandra.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Disconnecting two data centers

it's a bit tricky and I don't advise it, but the typical pattern is (say you
have DC1 and DC2):

1. partition the data centers from one another..kill the routing however you
can (firewall, etc)
2. while partitioned log onto DC1 alter schema so that DC2 is not replicating),
repeat for other.
2a. If using propertyfilesnitch remove the DC2 from all the DC1 property files
and vice versa
2b. change the seeds setting in the cassandra.yaml accordingly (DC1 yaml's
shouldn't have any seeds from DC2, etc)
3. rolling restart to account for this.
4,. run repair (not even sure how necessary this step is, but after doing RF
changes I do this to prevent hiccups)

I've done this a couple of times but really failing all of that, the more well
supported and harder to mess up but more work approach is:

1. Set DC2 to RF 0
2. remove all nodes from DC2
3. change yamls for seed files (update property file if need be)
4. create new cluster in DC2,
5. use sstableloader to stream DC1 data to DC2.

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 8:13 AM, Chuck Reynolds