hello,

we are quite inexperienced with cassandra at the moment and are playing
around with a new cluster we built up for getting familiar with
cassandra and its possibilites.

while getting familiar with that topic we recognized that repairs in
our cluster take a long time. To get an idea of our current setup here
are some numbers:

our cluster currently consists of 4 nodes (replication factor 3).
these nodes are all on dedicated physical hardware in our own
datacenter. all of the nodes have

32 cores @2,9Ghz
64 GB ram
2 ssds (raid0) 900 GB each for data
1 seperate hdd for OS + commitlogs

current dataset:
approx 530 GB per node
21 tables (biggest one has more than 200 GB / node)

i already tried setting compactionthroughput + streamingthroughput to
unlimited for testing purposes ... but that did not change anything.

when checking system resources i cannot see any bottleneck (cpus are
pretty idle and we have no iowaits).

when issuing a repair via

nodetool repair -local on a node the repair takes longer than a day.
is this normal or could we normally expect a faster repair?

i also recognized that initalizing of new nodes in the datacenter was
really slow (approx 50 mbit/s). also here i expected a much better
performance - could those 2 problems be somehow related?

br//
roland