It might be a bug.
Cassandra, AFAIK, scans those files for changes and updates the topology
(So you don't need a restart if you change the files). It might be the case
that the absence of the file, is still noticed by Cassandra even if it is
not really used.

I can do a small test to confirm, if so, it is a question of "expected
behaviour" (as in, always leave the file there) vs Bug (It shouldn't care
for files it doesn't use).

If you can always reproduce, feel free to Open a JIRA.

Thanks for the description.

Regards,

Carlos Juzarte Rolo
Cassandra Consultant / Datastax Certified Architect / Cassandra MVP

Pythian - Love your data

rolo@pythian | Twitter: @cjrolo | Skype: cjr2k3 | Linkedin:
*linkedin.com/in/carlosjuzarterolo
<http://linkedin.com/in/carlosjuzarterolo>*