Then it doesn't have to (it still may, for other reasons).

On 05/25/2017 05:11 PM, preetika tyagi wrote:
What if the commit log is disabled?

On May 25, 2017 4:31 AM, "Avi Kivity" <a...@scylladb.com <mailto:a...@scylladb.com>> wrote:

    Cassandra has to flush the memtable occasionally, or the commit
    log grows without bounds.

    On 05/25/2017 03:42 AM, preetika tyagi wrote:
    Hi,

    I'm running Cassandra with a very small dataset so that the data
    can exist on memtable only. Below are my configurations:

    In jvm.options:

    |-Xms4G -Xmx4G |

    In cassandra.yaml,

    |memtable_cleanup_threshold: 0.50 memtable_allocation_type:
    heap_buffers |

    As per the documentation in cassandra.yaml, the
    /memtable_heap_space_in_mb/ and /memtable_heap_space_in_mb/ will
    be set of 1/4 of heap size i.e. 1000MB

    According to the documentation here

(http://docs.datastax.com/en/cassandra/3.0/cassandra/configuration/configCassandra_yaml.html#configCassandra_yaml__memtable_cleanup_threshold

<http://docs.datastax.com/en/cassandra/3.0/cassandra/configuration/configCassandra_yaml.html#configCassandra_yaml__memtable_cleanup_threshold>),
    the memtable flush will trigger if the total size of memtabl(s)
    goes beyond (1000+1000)*0.50=1000MB.

    Now if I perform several write requests which results in almost
    ~300MB of the data, memtable still gets flushed since I see
    sstables being created on file system (Data.db etc.) and I don't
    understand why.

    Could anyone explain this behavior and point out if I'm missing
    something here?

    Thanks,

    Preetika