On 2017-07-31 15:00 (-0700), kurt greaves <k...@instaclustr.com> wrote:
> How long is your ttl and how much data do you write per day (ie, what is
> the difference in disk usage over a day)? Did you always TTL?
> I'd say it's likely there is live data in those older sstables but you're
> not generating enough data to push new data to the highest level before it
> expires.

This is a pretty good option. Other options:

1) You changed topology on Nov 28, and the ranges covered by those sstables are
no longer intersecting with the ranges on the node, so they're not being
selected as LCS compaction candidates (and if you run nodetool cleanup, they
probably get deleted)

2) You ran incremental repairs once, and stopped on the 28th, and now those
sstables have a repairedAt set, so they won't be compacted with other
(unrepaired) sstables

3) There's some horrible bug where the sstables got lost from the running
daemon, and if you restart it'll magically get sucked in and start working
again (this is really unlikely, and it would be a very bad bug).