Hello Simon.

Tombstone is a tricky topic in Cassandra that brought a lot of questions
over time. I exposed my understanding in a blog post last year and thought
it might be of interest for you, even though things probably evolved a bit,
principles and tuning did not change that much I guess.

Here is the post:
thelastpickle.com/blog/2016/07/27/about-deletes-and-tombstones.html.