Hi Shini,

First thing that comes to my mind honestly is "why?". Why would you do
this? It's way safer to finish upgrade then repair I would say.

That being said, I can make guesses for you here, but the best would
probably be to test it.

1. Running nodetool repair on one of the nodes while upgradesstables is
> still executing on one or more nodes in the cluster.

2. Running nodetool repair when upgradesstables failed abruptly on some of
> the nodes such that some sstable files are in new format while other
> sstable files are still in old format.

These impacts are unknown for me since I never did this, I always heard
around it was really bad. For me both case are similar. You are going to
repair data with distinct SSTable formats. I don't remember the differences
between Cassandra 2.0 and 2.1.

In best case it will work.

But my guess is it might lead to:
- Schema disagreement (but I heard that on schema changes on multi-version
clusters). I don't think you would hit this one.
- Mixing all new and old over the cluster (even on nodes with upgraded
SSTables)...
- Maybe directly fail if  networking changed between the 2 versions.

I would stay away from repairs and upgrade first all the nodes.

If that's really not doable, then I recommend you to test it (ccm / AWS /
stage cluster, as you see fit).

Sorry I cannot be more precise, impacts are not clear to me because I
always stayed away from this kind of mixed operations. The need for
repairing before upgrading sstables is not clear to me either. I would add
that I found out in the past that working in a rush on Cassandra often
creates more issues than solutions in general.

C*heers,
Alain Rodriguez - @arodream - al...@thelastpickle.com
France / Spain

http://www.thelastpickle.com