Hello.

I have a situation similar to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-13153 except mine cassandra is 3.11.1 (that issue should be fixed according to jira).

Cluster consist of 40 nodes which I have to shrink to 25 more powerful nodes moving less powerful out from the cluster.

SizeTieredCompactionStrategy is used for target table with default compaction options and default gc_grace_seconds (10 days).

Full sequential repair executed every day using https://github.com/thelastpickle/cassandra-reaper

Before reaper was involved the default (incremental) 'nodetool repair' was used.

There are couple of problems that I observe.

1. Compaction.

There are rows in target table which deleted long time ago (gc_grace_seconds passed) but they are not compacting. I tried 'nodetool compact' and 'nodetool repair -full -seq' with same outcome: sstables recreated but that rows still there (I used sstabledump to detect this state).

Some of that rows have tombstone and data in wrong order: the data located at more recent sstable by index but relative tombstone is located in previous sstable (shouldn't it be opposite?). CQL select does not return that rows (correct behaviour) until node decommission.

sstables with non-compacted rows have very old repairedAt value (about 10 days before the first deleted row in sstable which should have been compacted long time ago).

2. Streaming.

When moving the node out of cluster 'nodetool decommission' is used. After streaming complete some old rows that was not compacted earlier is back to life in shrinked cluster.

CQL select does return that rows as alive until running full sequential repair using cassandra-reaper.

As workaround I tried to shut down a node and using 'nodetool removenode' in case the node itself is streaming wrong data on decommission but that did not work either (deleted data is back to life).

Is this a known issue?

PS: I have not tried 'nodetool scrub' yet nor dropping repairedAt for affected sstables.

--

Best Regards,
Python_Max.