That NPE in gossip is probably a missing endpointstate, which is probably fixed
by the gossip patch (#13700) in 2.1.19

I’m not sure it’s related to the rebuild failing - I’m not actually sure if
that’s a server failure or jmx timing out. Do you see logs on the servers
indicating that it was ever invoked? Did it calculate a streaming plan? Did it
start sending files?

--
Jeff Jirsa