set CompactionParametersJson
{"class":"com.jeffjirsa.cassandra.db.compaction.TimeWindowCompactionStrategy","compaction_window_unit":"DAYS","compaction_window_size":"8"}

Logs:
INFO  [CompactionExecutor:4] 2018-01-09 15:55:04,525 CompactionManager.java:654
- Will not compact
/mnt/hadoop/cassandra/data/system/batchlog-0290003c977e397cac3efdfdc01d626b/lb-37-big:
 it is not an active sstable
INFO  [CompactionExecutor:4] 2018-01-09 15:55:04,525 CompactionManager.java:664
- No files to compact for user defined compaction

The last log means something?

Cheers,
-Simon

From: wxn...@zjqunshuo.com
Date: 2018-01-05 15:54
To: user
Subject: Re: Full repair caused disk space increase issue
Thanks Alex. Some nodes have finished anticompaction and disk space got
reclaimed as you mentioned.
BTW, after reading your
post(http://thelastpickle.com/blog/2016/12/08/TWCS-part1.html) on TWCS, I
decided to use TWCS, and doing the full repair is one of the preparation of
changing to TWCS.

From: Alexander Dejanovski
Date: 2018-01-05 15:17
To: user
Hi Simon,

since Cassandra 2.2, anticompaction is performed in all types of repairs,
except subrange repair.
Given that you have some very big SSTables, the temporary space used by
anticompaction (which does the opposite of compaction : read one sstable,
output two sstables) will impact your disk usage while it's running. It will
reach a peak when they are close to completion.
The anticompaction that is reported by compactionstats is currently using an
extra 147GB*[compression ratio]. So with a compression ratio of 0.3 for
example, that would be 44GB that will get reclaimed shortly after the
anticompaction is over.

You can check the current overhead of compaction by listing temporary sstables
: *tmp*Data.db

It's also possible that you have some overstreaming that occurred during your
repair, which will increase the size on disk until it gets compacted away (over
time).
You should also check if you don't have snapshots sticking around by running
"nodetool listsnapshots".

Now, you're mentioning that you ran repair to evict tombstones. This is not
what repair does, and tombstones are evicted through compaction when they meet
the requirements (gc_grace_seconds and all the cells of the partition involved
in the same compaction).
If you want to optimize your tombstone eviction, especially with STCS, I advise
to turn on unchecked_tombstone_compaction, which will allow single sstables
compactions to be triggered by Cassandra when there is more than 20% of
estimated droppable tombstones in an SSTable.
You can check your current droppable tombstone ratio by running sstablemetadata
on all your sstables.
A command like the following should do the trick (it will print out min/max
timestamps too) :

for f in *Data.db; do meta=$(sudo sstablemetadata $f); echo -e "Max:" $(date
--date=@$(echo "$meta" | grep Maximum\ time | cut -d" "  -f3| cut -c 1-10)
'+%m/%d/%Y') "Min:" $(date --date=@$(echo "$meta" | grep Minimum\ time | cut
-d" "  -f3| cut -c 1-10) '+%m/%d/%Y') $(echo "$meta" | grep droppable) ' \t '
$(ls -lh $f | awk '{print $5" "$6" "$7" "$8" "$9}'); done | sort

Check if the 20% threshold is high enough by verifying that newly created
SSTables don't already reach that level, and adjust accordingly if it's the
case (for example raise the threshold to 50%).

To activate the tombstone compactions, with a 50% droppable tombstone
threshold, perform the following statement on your table :

ALTER TABLE cargts.eventdata WITH compaction =
{'class':'SizeTieredCompactionStrategy',
'unchecked_tombstone_compaction':'true', 'tombstone_threshold':'0.5'}

Picking the right threshold is up to you.
Note that tombstone compactions running more often will use temporary space as
well, but they should help evicting tombstones faster if the partitions are
contained within a single SSTable.

If you are dealing with TTLed data and your partitions spread over time, I'd
strongly suggest considering TWCS instead of STCS which can remove fully
expired SSTables much more efficiently.

Cheers,

On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 7:43 AM wxn...@zjqunshuo.com <wxn...@zjqunshuo.com>