Agree with you, Jon.

Actually, this cluster was configured by my 'predecessor' and [fortunately for
him] we've never met :)

We're using version 2.1.15 and can't upgrade because of legacy Netflix Astyanax
client used.

Below in the thread Alex mentioned that it's recommended to set vnodes to a
value lower than 256 only for C* version > 3.0 (token allocation algorithm was
improved since C* 3.0) .

Jon,

Do you have positive experience setting up  cluster with vnodes < 256 for  C*
2.1?

vnodes=32 also too high, as for me (we need to have much more than 32 servers
per AZ in order to to get 'reliable' cluster)

vnodes=4 seems to be better from HA + balancing trade-off

Thanks,

Kyrill