On 02/06/2018 12:58 PM, Mike Torra wrote:

> I restart a node like this:
>
> nodetool disablethrift && nodetool disablegossip && nodetool drain
> sudo service cassandra restart

Just a guess here - are you really only using thrift?
(ie. `nodetool disablebinary`)

> When I do that, I very often get timeouts and errors like this in my
> nodejs app:
>
> Error: Cannot achieve consistency level LOCAL_ONE

Which nodejs driver? Is it a "gossip-aware" driver and getting
notifications of client port shutdown on the nodes? Verbose logging at
the clients while going through a restart may be helpful to see what's
going on.

> I've tried waiting between steps of shutting down cassandra, and I've
> tried stopping, waiting, then starting the node. One thing I've noticed
> is that even after `nodetool drain`ing the node, there are open
> connections to other nodes in the cluster (ie looking at the output of
> netstat) until I stop cassandra. I don't see any errors or warnings in
> the logs.

What port are the connections on? 9160 (thrift) or 9042 (native)?

--
Kind regards,
Michael