You can’t migrate down that way.  The last several nodes you have up will get
completely overwhelmed, and you’ll be completely screwed.  Please do not give
advice like this unless you’ve actually gone through the process or at least
have an understanding of how the data will be shifted.  Adding nodes with 16
tokens while decommissioning the ones with 256 will be absolute hell.

You can only do this by adding a new DC and retiring the old.