Event planning is fun as long as you can pace it out properly.  Once you set a
firm date for an event the pressure on you to keep everything on track is nerve
racking.  To do something on the order of Cassandra Summit 2016, I think we are
should plan for 2020.  It’s too late for 2018 and even trying to meet the
timeline for everything that would have to come together makes 2019 too nerve
racking a target date.  The steps should be:

                Form a planning committee

                Bring potential sponsors into the planning early

                Select an event planning vendor to guide us and to do the heavy
lifting for us

In the meantime, we could have a World-wide Distributed Asynchronous Cassandra
Convention which offers four benefits:

                It allows us to address the fact that we are a world-wide group
that needs a way to reach everyone in a way where no one is geographically
disadvantaged

                No travel time, no travel expenses and no ticket fees makes it
accessible to a lot of people that otherwise would have to miss out

The lower production costs and simpler administrative workload allows us to
reach implementation sooner

                It’s cutting edge, world class innovation like Cassandra

Kenneth Brotman