I always thought that changing the IP address of a node requires to use the
same procedure as for a died node, which part of it consists in starting
Cassandra the -Dcassandra.replace_address option as indicated at

However, it’s said at
 that we can simply start the new node after having done some changes in
configuration files that could be impacted (seed list in cassandra.yaml,
cassandra-topology.properties). Is it a feature of the DSE ? Is it something
that works with the community version ? How does it work exactly ? Does the
replacement happen because it has the same data as the replaced node and
something like an id is found in the local files ? The token list ?

Thank you
Cyril Scetbon