Hey,

I always thought that changing the IP address of a node requires to use the
same procedure as for a died node, which part of it consists in starting
Cassandra the -Dcassandra.replace_address option as indicated at
https://docs.datastax.com/en/cassandra/3.0/cassandra/operations/opsReplaceNode.html

However, it’s said at
https://docs.datastax.com/en/dse/5.1/dse-admin/datastax_enterprise/operations/opsChangeIp.html
 that we can simply start the new node after having done some changes in
configuration files that could be impacted (seed list in cassandra.yaml,
cassandra-topology.properties). Is it a feature of the DSE ? Is it something
that works with the community version ? How does it work exactly ? Does the
replacement happen because it has the same data as the replaced node and
something like an id is found in the local files ? The token list ?

Thank you
—
Cyril Scetbon