Re G1GC in Java 9, yes it's the default, but we explicitly specify the
collector when we start Cassandra.

Regarding load testing, some folks like cassandra-stress, but personally I
think second to production itself, there's nothing better than an
environment running the full applications stack with simulated load.  Yes,
it's a lot of setup, but imo it's necessary for any sort of performance /
acceptance testing.