On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 9:12 AM, Nitan Kainth <nitankai...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Riccardo,
>
> Simplest method can be is to add VPC as an additional datacenter to
> existing cluster; once New DC has synced up all data, just switch over your
> application. Only caveat is that there should be enough network bandwidth
> between EC2 and VPC.
>
> Horizontal scaling will help to some extent.
>
> Changing snitch will cause data movement but for new DC, I believe you can
> chose. Leaving others comment.

If you change the snitch, and the data ownership changes, you run the risk
of violating at least consistency guarantees, if not outright losing data.

Changing the snitch is only something you should attempt if you understand
the implications. Cassandra does NOT re-stream data to the right places
if/when you change a snitch.

> With EBS, use right instance where IOPs are as high as possible.
> Generally, SSDs IOPs are 75K; what is best for you depends on workload. I
> have seen 20K IOPs supporting production loads in reasonable cluster.

This is very much workload dependent. I know of people running thousands of
nodes / petabytes of EBS on 4T GP2 volumes which provide 10k iops, and they
RARELY go above 1k iops during normal use patterns.

-  Jeff