Thanks for the feedback..

Getting tons of OOM lately..

You mentioned overprovisioned heap size... well...
tried 8GB = OOM
tried 12GB = OOM
tried 20GB w/ G1 = OOM (and long GC pauses usually over 2 secs)
tried 20GB w/ CMS = running

we're java 8 update 151.
3.11.1.

We've got one table that's got a 400MB partition.. that's the max.. the
99th is < 100MB, and 95th < 30MB..
So I'm not sure that I'm overprovisioned, I'm just not quite yet to the
heap size based on our partition sizes.
All queries use cluster key, so I'm not accidentally reading a whole
partition.
The last place I'm looking - which maybe should be the first - is
tombstones.

sorry for the afternoon rant! thanks for your eyes!