This is safe (and normal, and good) in all versions except those impacted
by https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-13004

So if you're on 2.1, 2.2, or 3.11 you're fine

If you're on 3.0 between 3.0.0 and 3.0.13, you should upgrade first (to
newest 3.0, probably 3.0.17)
If you're on a version between 3.1 and 3.10, you should upgrade first (to
newest 3.11, probably 3.11.3)

- Jeff